Chris has instructed at the University of British Columbia, BC Institute of Technology, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Columbia College and Fraser Valley Community College in the following courses:
Chris was formerly President of Inception Software Technology Inc., a company providing development and consulting services. Recent projects include industrial control systems, software defined radio, transmitter controller, wireless applications, PBX/VoIP migration strategy, VoIP over satellite, wireless data software development, embedded graphical user interface development, web site development.
Previously, he was a Member of Technical Staff and Principal Staff Engineer at Motorola for 12 years where he led the Systems Design team defining the specifications, architecture and standards of wireless data communication systems.
Specific highlights of his career include:
- Receiving feedback from students:
- “He knows his stuff and is enthusiastic about it.”
- “Excellent instructor, informative, interesting as well as knowledgeable.”
- “This course could have been dull, but was saved from that fate by Chris’s use of many different media in his teaching.”
- Substantial industry experience working on software development, the specification, standardization and design of computer systems, data networks, wireless communication, mathematical performance analysis and simulation modelling of networks.
- Employee Recognition Awards for “Participation in Global Standards”, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1998.
- Received IEEE Vancouver Section Outstanding Chapter Award, 1988/9 and IEEE Vancouver Section Centennial Volunteer Award (2011).
- Published 15 conference/journal papers and hold 5 international patents.
- Extensive soft skill training including Dale Carnegie, 7-Habits, Coaching, Team-Development, Negotiating, Leadership, Toastmasters and the Instructional Skills Workshop.
Chris holds both a B.Sc. in Electronic Engineering/Physics and a Ph.D. in Communications from the University of Wales. He has been registered as a Chartered Engineer in England, a Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology in England, a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers in the USA, former Vancouver Chapter Chair of IEEE Computer Society, recent Advisory Board Member of the Vancouver IEEE Communications Society and current Chair of the IEEE Vancouver Section History Committee.
Chris is the Secretary/Treasurer of the Delta Amateur Radio Society (Delta ARS), a communication volunteer with Delta ARS, Emergency Management BC and the City of Delta Emergency Management. Chris has held amateur radio certificate (as VE7QCS, VE7XH and G8GDM) for over 40 years and teaches both the Basic and Advanced Radio Certification courses. In addition, he volunteers to provide website support for Delta ARS, the Society for the Preservation of Antique Radio in Canada (SPARC) and as the Media coordinator in the Delta Local of Special Olympics BC. He was a member of the Boundary Bay Airport Advisory Committee for the City of Delta, BC.